Thursday, December 11, 2008

Couch to 5km

My exercise has completely stalled in the last few weeks. I've been overwhelmed with so many things to do that I just let it drop off. This is a problem...

So, I looked around for something that has a set of goals and a timeframe in which to achieve them. One of the things I've learned in the last four years with my company is that if you're setting yourself a goal it needs to be a SMART goal.

S - Specific
M - Measureable
A - Achievable
R - Realistic
T - Time Constrained

So, I am going to have a crack at the Couch to 5km 9 week programme - it is designed to start small and build up to running 5km in a 9 week timeframe. And it only takes up 30mins 3 times a week so I can't say I don't have time.

Specific - I want to be able to run 5km after 9 weeks
Measureable - well, 5km
Achievable - It starts very small, however they do say that if it advances too quickly you should scale it back and take longer. I think it is achievable though.
Realistic - I'm not attempting a marathon here
Time Constrained - 9 Weeks.

So, I'm going to make sure I've done all the research, then, from Sunday the 14th December I will have 9 weeks to train. Wish me luck!

5 comments:

  1. Your goal is resonable and I am sure you are going to make it. I have always wanted to be able to run 5km. Right now I am just getting better from damaging my lower disk in my back but once it is better I am going to do the same challenge. I will be coming back to check on your progress. WELL DONE

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bare thought of running scares me - so I'm always impressed by anyone who even mentions it! Well done on your goal making...and I'll be watching how you go - then I might try it myself, lol.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Luck!!! Im sure you will be able to do it. Keep us posted on your progress

    Nicky xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the support! I'm so excited that I might go for a trial of the first workout tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an amazing idea! Wishing you the very best of luck!! xx Jess

    ReplyDelete